Back to School Resources 2019
- A Message from Dr. Lutz
- School Supply Lists
- Food Services
- Health Services
- One to One Chromebook Initiative for Grades 6-12
- Transportation Update
- Additional Resources
The Essence of a New Day
This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good.
I have a framed poster containing that inspirational quote hanging on the wall in my office. Every morning when I walk into the office, I flip on the light, read that quote and think about how I can make a difference today.
The beginning of the school year is your opportunity to do something great. It is a time when we can wash away the faults of the past and prepare for a fresh beginning. Opportunities will come in the form of new teachers, new classmates, or maybe even a new school. I want you to be prepared to take full advantage of all of these things.
Sometimes being prepared will require a little bit of risk; however, to reach the goals that I know we can obtain this year will require a high level of courage, being a bit vulnerable, and prepared to be daring.
My challenge to each of you this year is to be daring. Daring in your academics. Daring in your activities and athletics. Daring in your friendships. And daring in your expectations.
Sometimes the secret to being successful is just feeling safe enough to get started and to try. My commitment to all of you is to create those environments within our District that provide you that space.
We have been very busy this summer interviewing and hiring (faculty), registering (students) and building (renovations). We have hired over 12 new faculty and staff. Student enrollment continues to grow, as we have welcomed nearly 170 new students district-wide since June. Construction projects at our facilities have been moving along on time and will not impede our ability to start the school year.
As we embark on the 80th year of the Baldwin-Whitehall School District, I cannot wait for you to join me as we dare to make this our strongest year ever!
Randal A. Lutz, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
As one can see from the graphic, the transportation department of the Baldwin-Whitehall School District provides extensive services to many users on a daily basis. In an effort to provide timely service to all students, several changes to the routes, as well as some procedures have been necessary for 2019.
- All routes have been revised, resulting in buses traveling on a more “main line” system. While some children may have to walk further to their bus stop, changes were made to improve timing and safety for all students. Home stops will continue to be provided only on routes deemed by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation as Hazardous Routes. (for more information, please review BWSD Policy #810)
- New for 2019 is a GPS tracking program for the buses to allow parents to monitor the time and location of their child’s bus. The program will be operational by the beginning of November.
- Students are entitled to one bus stop location in the morning as well as the afternoon. These stops may be different based upon child care needs.
- Students needing two different stops (different days of the week) in either the morning or afternoon must have proper documentation related to custody or licensed/certified day care. Issues of convenience cannot be honored.
- Bus stop changes related to family emergencies shall only be granted with the approval of the school administration.
- Request for bus stop changes (consistent with BWSD Policy #810) must be made using the change request form found on the BWSD website (www.bwschools.net) under the Transportation tab. Changes for students with existing bus stops shall be made within 2 weeks.
- Students not having a transportation schedule shall receive priority status and will be handled within 72 hours of submission of request.
Thank you for your anticipated support as we work to ensure all students are provided safe and efficient transportation services.
Comcast offers discounted internet access to eligible families through their Internet Essentials program. You can learn more by clicking here.
We are excited to announce key program enhancements this year, all of which are being offered for no additional cost to either new or existing customers:
- Speed increase – for the fourth time in six years, we are increasing speeds for new and existing customers. Internet Essentials now offers speeds of up to 15 Mbps.
- XFINITY WiFi hotspots – to help family members connect to the Internet on the go and save money on their wireless bills, Internet Essentials customers will now enjoy 40 hours per month of free WiFi access out of the home on our network of 18 million XFINITY WiFi hotspots.